I’ve finally finished the MIGHTY DIY SHOES CHALLENGE. I had mentioned a few times in my other DIY shoe posts that I was working on a particularly hideous pair of what I named “nurse stripper shoes from the 70’s” I got off eeeBay. I wasn’t sure how these were going to turn out. I figured there were only two outcomes though… complete disaster or genius. Of course, I hesitate to call myself genius, but I have to say, these came out much better than I had expected, so I’m calling this a success! Anyway, here is the AFTER pic:
And now I present to you, the BEFORE pic after the cut…
Basically here’s how I did it: I cut out that whole middle section with the crisscross straps, then I covered the shoes in a green/grayish metallic fabric. I put in 2 large elastic bands across the middle of the shoe where the crisscross straps used to be, then covered those with a similar fabric. The fabric near the laces is the same fabric, I just painted over it with an off-white and gold paint. The inner lace over the elastic is actually from a doily, then I just sewed on various buttons. Everything was sewn on these… in conjunction with glue and fabric sprays. They’re quite sturdy and surprisingly very comfortable! I guess that’s because they’re “nurse stripper shoes from the 70’s.”
I’m really happy with how they turned out and I learned a lot making these as well. There were certain aspects, particularly the center piece with the buttons, that I should have constructed in a different order to save myself trouble. I put the elastic straps into the shoe before the decorations, but now I realize I should have decorated them first and then put them in.
Anyway, that’s it! Hope you like em!